If you’re curious about the best foods for weight loss, check out this guide from AIM Group in East Hills, NY.
How Do Different Foods Affect Your Body Differently?
No matter the size or shape of your body, having a healthy lifestyle is essential. While weight loss is an option to consider if you desire to feel your best, it is not the only solution for being healthy and it is not something that everyone needs to strive for.
Eating a balanced diet and exercising frequently are important for enhancing your wellbeing. Additionally, hormones have an essential part in regulating cravings, appetite, and weight; certain meals can also have an effect on your hunger in different ways.
Protein can help make you feel full faster and for a longer period of time. It also helps to decrease hunger by reducing the production of ghrelin, the hormone that signals your body to feel hungry after eating. Additionally, protein requires more energy to digest, which can help to increase your metabolism, as well as promote lean muscle mass.
Fiber intake can have a beneficial effect on your digestion, as it causes your blood sugar levels to rise slowly rather than abruptly. This effect is due to the release of insulin, a hormone that helps store fat, occurring at a slower rate. Additionally, fiber helps to reduce hunger by triggering the release of hormones that give you a feeling of fullness, such as ghrelin. This can help keep you feeling fuller for longer, thus decreasing the likelihood of overeating and the total amount of calories consumed.
Eating ultra-processed foods can be detrimental to our health as they lack essential nutrients and fiber. These types of foods, such as pastries and snacks, are digested quickly and cause our blood glucose levels to skyrocket. To counteract this, our body releases a lot of insulin, which works to remove glucose from our bloodstream. Unfortunately, this means that most of the calories from these foods end up being stored in our fat cells.
Choosing Unprocessed Foods Is A More Sustainable Choice Than Reducing Caloric Intake
It is not necessary or recommended to severely limit calories. To lose weight in a safe and sustainable way, focus on eating whole, unprocessed, high-quality foods. These will help reduce hunger, boost metabolism, and burn fat. Try to stay away from fried foods, processed foods, and refined sugars, and watch your portion sizes. A good way to do this is to use the plate method, where half of your plate is filled with fruits and vegetables, a quarter with lean protein, and a quarter with fiber-rich carbohydrates.
Eating a variety of fresh, whole foods can improve the health of your digestive system. Not only is a healthy digestive system associated with a better response to insulin (which can reduce fat stored around the waist), but it can also reduce inflammation and strengthen immunity, both of which can make you feel better physically and mentally so you can continue on your journey to reach your weight loss goals.
Foods That Support A Healthy Weight Loss Journey
- Lately, white potatoes have become less popular, likely because of the growing popularity of low-carb diets. However, potatoes and other root vegetables are great for weight loss and are beneficial for overall health. These foods are full of essential nutrients, and they are especially high in potassium, which is essential for controlling blood pressure. Sweet potatoes, turnips, and other root vegetables are also excellent choices.
- Whole eggs are incredibly nutrient-rich, with most of their essential nutrients found in the yolks – such as choline and vitamin D – while egg whites contain 4-6 grams of protein each. Eating eggs is beneficial because they are high in protein and fat, which helps you to feel full. It is important to pay attention to your body and eat when you feel hungry and stop when you feel satisfied; this can help you to achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Fatty fish like salmon are incredibly nutritious and quite filling. Loaded with excellent protein, healthy fats, and various essential nutrients, salmon can help you achieve a healthier weight and stay fuller for longer. Furthermore, the omega-3 fatty acids in salmon may help decrease inflammation, which is related to obesity and metabolic illness.
- Leafy greens like kale, spinach, collard greens, and Swiss chard are excellent for managing your weight. They have plenty of fiber and vital nutrients that make you feel full and hydrated.
- Legumes such as lentils, black beans, and kidney beans can be beneficial for those attempting to shed pounds. These foods usually have a high protein and fiber content, both of which are known to keep you feeling satiated for a longer duration. Resistant starch is also commonly found in legumes, making them an excellent option for weight loss.
AIM Group Offers Primary Care & House Calls In East Hills, NY
At Advanced Internal Medical Group in East Hills, NY we have 40 years of experience minimizing pain with over 20 services in primary care, house call appointments, and a range of other medical services. To learn more about how AIM Group can serve you, call 516-352-8100 to speak with one of our team members.